CCSM3 Holocene Simulations
Holocene 6 ka and 8.5 ka and selected set of 8.2 ka meltwater event simulations have been completed with CCSM3 at the T42x1 resolution.
Further details are provided in the papers below:
- Otto-Bliesner, B.L., E.C. Brady, G. Clauzet, R. Tomas, S. Levis, and Z. Kothavala, 2006: Last Glacial Maximum and Holocene climate in CCSM3. J. Climate, 19, 2526-2544.
- Morrill, C., LeGrande, A. N., Renssen, H., Bakker, P., and Otto-Bliesner, B. L.: Model sensitivity to North Atlantic freshwater forcing at 8.2 ka, Clim. Past, 9, 955–968, https://doi.org/10.5194/cp-9-955-2013, 2013.
- Wagner, A.J., Morrill, C., Otto-Bliesner, B.L. et al. Model support for forcing of the 8.2 ka event by meltwater from the Hudson Bay ice dome. Clim Dyn 41, 2855–2873, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00382-013-1706-z, 2013.
- C Morrill, EM Ward, AJ Wagner, BL Otto‐Bliesner, N Rosenbloom, Large sensitivity to freshwater forcing location in 8.2ka simulations, Paleoceanography 29 (10), 930-945, https://doi.org/10.1002/2014PA002669, 2014.
We kindly ask that you reference the appropriate paper and acknowledge the PaleoclimateWG when presenting results based on these simulations in either oral or written form.
- Simulation Protocols: Details of experimental design for the 6ka simulation are found in the first listed paper above. Details for the 8ka and meltwater experimental design are found in the next three papers listed.
- b30.100.02: PI Control
- b30.101: 6 ka control
- b30.102: 8.5 ka control
- b30.102aib: 8.5 ka + Ice sheet + 0.05 Sv St Lawrence River discharge
- b30.102aib.al2md: 2.5Sv + 0.13Sv Lake Drainage as precip flux across 6 small boxes in Lab Sea
- b30.102aib.al2nd: 2.5Sv Precip Flux in Lab Sea + 99 yrs Lake Drainage (0.13Sv)
- Model Version: CCSM3.0.1
- Resolution: T42_gx1v3
- Years: Varies by simulation
- Ensemble Size: one each
- Time Frequencies Saved: Monthly
- Machine: NCAR:Bluevista and Bluefire
Data from these simulations are available on the NWSC computing storage at /glade/campaign/cesm/development/palwg/Holocene/CCSM3.
Diagnostics for the CCSM3 Holocene simulations can be found here.