CESM2 CMIP6-PMIP4 simulations for Mid-Holocene and Last Interglacial
Mid-Holocene (6 ka) and Last Interglacial (127 ka) have been completed with the CMIP6 version of CESM2. These simulations employ the CMIP6-PMIP4 Tier1 midHolocene and lig127k protocols and use the same version (CESM2.1) and resolution (FV1x1) of CESM2 as the CMIP6 DECK and SSP simulations.
Further details are provided in the papers below:
- Otto-Bliesner, B.L., E.C. Brady et al., 2020: A comparison of the CMIP6 midHolocene and lig127k simulations in CESM2. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 35, e2020PA003957. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020PA003957 .
- Otto-Bliesner, B.L. et al., 2017: The PMIP4 contribution to CMIP6 – Part 2: Two interglacials, Scientific objectives and experimental design of the PMIP4-CMIP6 Holocene and Last Interglacial simulations. Geoscientific Model Development, 10, 3979-4003, https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-10-3979-2017 .
We kindly ask that you reference the 1st paper and acknowledge the PaleoclimateWG and supercomputing resources provide by NSF / CISL when presenting results based on the CESM2 CMIP6-PMIP4 Mid-Holocene and/or Last Interglacial in either oral or written form.
- Simulation Protocols: Details of experimental design and protocols are found in 2nd paper listed above.
- Simulation Names:
- Model Version: CESM2.1
- Resolution: 0.9x1.25_gx1v6 (CESM nominal 1° grid)
- Years: see 1st paper for details.
- Ensemble Size: one each
- Time Frequencies Saved: monthly, daily
- Machine: NCAR Cheyenne
- Compsets: Specific information can be found by looking up by casename here.
The CESM2 midHolocene and lig127k simulations are available on the NWSC computing storage at /glade/collections/cdg/data/CMIP6/PMIP/NCAR/CESM2. The data is also available on the WCRP CMIP6 Data Portal (DOI for lig127k: doi:10.22033/ESGF/CMIP6.7673; and DOI for midHolocene: doi:10.22033/ESGF/CMIP6.7674).
For more information:
The CESM2 piControl simulation is available on the NCAR Climate Data Gateway here:
Diagnostics for the CESM2 midHolocene and lig127k simulations including the Climate Variability Diagnostic Package plots, can be found by looking up simulation by casename on this page link, and scrolling down to "Diagnostics Plot Sets."