CESM Working Group Co-Chairs Terms of Reference
Charge: Provide scientific leadership for the Community Earth System Model (CESM) component and/or application working group to:
- plan near- and long-term scientific and model experiments in collaboration with working group members;
- recommend to the CESM Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) new model definition and development;
- coordinate model development with internal and external engineering teams;
- manage model data sets generated by the working group in accordance with the CESM Data Policy;
- manage CSL computational resources for the working group;
- oversee working group's scientific liaison by internal co-chair or designated scientist;
- contribute to proposals for computer time to the Climate Simulation Laboratory and elsewhere, if appropriate;
- contribute to the annual CESM report;
- plan and lead working group meetings;
- write meeting reports;
- encourage working group member's participation and new membership; and
- decide if applicants should be given access to the CESM development code.
Collaborative efforts across working groups are encouraged.
Membership: In general, each working group will have two co-chairs, with the best possible mix being one co-chair from outside NCAR and one co-chair from inside NCAR. Additional co-chairs will be appointed if deemed necessary by the Chair of the SSC. The term of each co-chair is two years, with the possibility of reappointment. Rotation is expected.
Appointment of Members: The Chair of the SSC will appoint working group co-chairs.
Meeting Frequency: The CESM Working Groups will meet at least once per year and can meet as often as necessary.