CAM6 Development Activities
This page is intended to be a summary of the Atmosphere Model Working Group (AMWG) activities in developing the CESM Community Atmosphere Model version 6 (CAM6).
- CAM6 timelines (updated 02/18/2014)
- CAM developement plan and CAM6 timelines. AMWG Discussion at the CESM Workshop, Breckenridge, 17 - 20 June 2013.
High horizontal resolution
We expect that global climate models in the next decade will run routinely at horizontal resolutions of 25 km or lower. High-resolution simulations targets simulations of tropical cyclones, improvement in important regional and mesoscale circulation, etc...
- Bacmeister et al. (2014), Exploratory High-Resolution Climate Simulations using the Community Atmosphere Model (CAM), Journal of Climate, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00387.1 [Publication]
Increased Vertical resolution
Higher vertical resolution improves the ability to represent certain aspect of physics or dynamics better (QBO, sudden stratospheric warmings, ...
- Richter et al. (2014) On the Simulation of the Quasi-Biennial Oscillation in the Community Atmosphere Model, Version 5, Accepted in JAMES, doi: 10.1002/2013JD021122. [paper]
- Richter et al. (2014) Effects of Vertical Resolution and Non-Orographic Gravity Wave Drag On the Simulated Climate in the Community Atmosphere Model, Version5 , Submitted to JAMES [paper]
- Richter (2013) Higher vertical resolution in CAM. Do we need it ?
CESM Workshop, Breckenridge, 17 - 20 June 2013. [Talk]
- Summary of Potentially level dependent physics
- Figure of the vertical levels high low
There are several Community development activities related to the improvement of the cloud physics (CLUBB, UNICON, deep convection activities).
Implement a multi-variate PDF based moist turbulence and cloud macrophysics scheme based on the Cloud Layers Unified By Binormals (CLUBB) into CAM.
- Bogenschutz et al.. (2014) Recent progress and developments with CAM-CLUBB. AMWG Meeting, Boulder, 10-12 February 2014 [Talk]
- Bogenschutz et al. (2013) A unified cloud/convection scheme for CAM: Concept and preliminary results. CESM Workshop, Breckenridge, 17 - 20 June 2013. [Talk]
- Bogenschutz et al (2013). Higher-order turbulence closure and it's impact on climate simulations in the Community Atmosphere Model. J. Climate, 26, 9655-9676, doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00075.1. [Paper]
- Bogenschutz et al (2012). Unified parameterization of the planetary boundary layer and shallow convection with a higher-order turbulence closure in the Community Atmosphere Model. Geo. Sci. Model Dev., 5, 1407-1423, doi: 10.5194/gmd-5-1407-2012 [Paper].
A unified convection scheme for CAM that unifies treatment of deep and shallow convection.
- Park (2014) A Unified Convection Scheme, UNICON. Part I. Formulation. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences. Revised.
- Park (2014) A Unified Convection Scheme, UNICON. Part II. Simulation 2014. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences. Revised.
- Park (2014), An update on the CAM Unified Convection Scheme (UNICON), 10-12 February 2014 [Talk]
- Park (2013). Scale-adaptive physics parameterization. CESM Workshop, Breckenridge, 17 - 20 June 2013 [Talk].
Modifications of the Zhang McFarlane scheme for short-term tuning of CAM5 high resolution simulations.
Next generation of MG microphysics.
Includes prognostic precipitation, mixed phase ice nucleation and convective microphysics.
- MG2 Simulations
- Gettelman et al (2014) Advanced Two-Moment Microphysics for Global Models. Part I: Off line tests and comparisons with other schemes. Submitted to J. Climate, [Preprint]
- Gettelman et al (2014) Advanced Two-Moment Microphysics for Global Models. Part II: Global model solutions and Aerosol-Cloud Interactinos. Submitted to J. Climate [Preprint]
Gravity Wave Drag (GWD) and Turbulent Mountain Stress (TMS)
Development targets Gravity Wave Drag (GWD) and Turbulent Mountain Stress (TMS) schemes.
- Gunilla Svensson. The Effects of Turbulent Mountain Stress (TMS) on the Boundary Layer in CAM. AMWG meeting. Boulder, 14-16 February 2011
Development targets MAM4 and prescribed MAM
- Steve Ghan. MAM4 Status and development of aerosol branch CESM Workshop, Breckenridge, 17 - 20 June 2013.