CLM5.0 is the latest in a series of land models developed through the CESM project. More information on the CLM project and access to previous released CLM model versions and documentation can be found via the CLM Web Page. Note that CLM4.5 biogeophysics and biogeochemistry can be run from this release code. A new river model (MOSART) is also included. This release is a land-only release. The capability to run CLM5.0 within CESM2.0 will be included in the CESM2.0 release.
The Functionally Assembled Terrestrial Ecosystem Simulator (FATES) is available within the CLM5 release as a research option.
- CLM5.0 is publicly available through the Community Terrestrial System Model (CTSM) git repository
- Download the code by executing the following commands:
git clone -b release-clm5.0 https://github.com/ESCOMP/ctsm.git clm5.0
- CLM5.0 Technical Description [html], [pdf]
- What's new in CLM5.0 (text description), (list)
- CLM5.0 User's Guide (In development, information is not currently correct for CLM5, do not use!!)
- Quickstart Guide (this is CESM2.0 Quick Start guide; note that same script commands used for CLM land-only)
- CIME documentation (CIME - pronounced "SEAM" - is the Common Infrastructure for Modeling the Earth provides a UNIX command-line-based interface for configuring, compiling and executing Earth system models including CLM)
- CLM namelist definitions
- CLM CASEROOT variable definitions
- MOSART namelist definitions
- Known bugs/issues in CLM
- Explanation of supported configurations in CLM5
- Getting Help - DiscussCESM Forums
- CLM4.5 Technical Description [pdf]
- What's new in CLM4.5
- CLM4.0 Technical Description [pdf], CLM4.0 Urban Model
- What's new in CLM4.0
Model Design and Development
- Development Guide (CTSM development guidelines, workflow, and coding standards provided at CTSM github wiki page)
All future CLM development will occur within the framework of CTSM. CLM will be an instantiation of CTSM.
Model output and diagnostic plots
- CLM5.0, CLM4.5, and CLM4.0 land-only control simulations (available on Cheyenne at /glade/p/cgd/tss/people/oleson/CLM_LAND_ONLY_RELEASE or inquire with Keith Oleson, firstname.lastname@example.org; PFT-level, daily, and hourly data available for selected fields and simulations)
- CLM Diagnostic package plots
- ILAMB package plots
- CESM Postprocessing Tool: Quick Start, User's Guide, and Workflow
- Bibliography of papers utilizing and/or developing CLM
(Last update: Feb/15/2018)
- Lawrence, D.M., R. Fisher, C.D. Koven, K.W. Oleson, S.C. Swenson, et al., 2018: The Community Land Model version 5 (CLM5). In preparation for JAMES.
- Oleson, K.W., D.M. Lawrence, G.B. Bonan, B. Drewniak, M. Huang, C.D. Koven, S. Levis, F. Li, W.J. Riley, Z.M. Subin, S.C. Swenson, P.E. Thornton, A. Bozbiyik, R. Fisher, E. Kluzek, J.-F. Lamarque, P.J. Lawrence, L.R. Leung, W. Lipscomb, S. Muszala, D.M. Ricciuto, W. Sacks, Y. Sun, J. Tang, Z.-L. Yang, 2013: Technical Description of version 4.5 of the Community Land Model (CLM). Ncar Technical Note NCAR/TN-503+STR, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, 422 pp.
- Lawrence, D.M., K.W. Oleson, M.G. Flanner, P.E. Thornton, S.C. Swenson, P.J. Lawrence, X. Zeng, Z.-L. Yang, S. Levis, K. Sakaguchi, G.B. Bonan, and A.G. Slater, 2011: Parameterization improvements and functional and structural advances in version 4 of the Community Land Model. J. Adv. Model. Earth Sys., 3, DOI: 10.1029/2011MS000045.
- Oleson, K.W., D.M. Lawrence, G.B. Bonan, M.G. Flanner, E. Kluzek, P.J. Lawrence, S. Levis, S.C. Swenson, P.E. Thornton, A. Dai, M. Decker, R. Dickinson, J. Feddema, C.L. Heald, F. Hoffman, J.-F. Lamarque, N. Mahowald, G.-Y. Niu, T. Qian, J. Randerson, S. Running, K. Sakaguchi, A. Slater, R. Stockli, A. Wang, Z.-L. Yang, Xi. Zeng, and Xu. Zeng, 2010: Technical Description of version 4.0 of the Community Land Model (CLM). NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-478+STR, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, 257 pp.
- Piao et. al. 2012: The carbon budget of terrestrial ecosystems in East Asia over the last two decades. Biogeosciences, 9, 3571-3586, doi:10.5194/bg-9-3571-2012. (CRUNCEP forcing)