CESM1_0_4 Major Features FAQ
- Interannual forcing (IAF) compsets
- Thermosphere/Ionosphere extension of WACCM (WACCM-X)
- Q: What is WACCM-X?
- A: WACCM-X is an optional addition to WACCM that extends the model into the upper thermosphere, using an additional 15 vertical layers to cover this range. WACCM-X's ionosphere energetics and ion transport are still under development. For more details on the scientifically validated features of WACCM-X, please see WACCM-X Notable Improvements.
- Q: What compset should I use for WACCM-X?
- A: The new compset for WACCM-X is F_2000_WACCMX (short name: FWX). You can specify either the long name or the short name for the -compset option of create_newcase.
- Q: What grid do I use with a WACCM-X case?
- A: The only scientifically supported grid for WACCM-X at this time is 1.9x2.5_1.9x2.5 (short name: f19_f19), which was used for the initial control run.
- Q: Does WACCM-X require any additional options or configuration?
- A: There are no new settings or options exclusive to WACCM-X. Currently, a WACCM-X case is configured in exactly the same way as the corresponding WACCM case would be.
See the CESM1 POP2 FAQ for information about the new IAF compsets and how to use them.