[an error occurred while processing this directive] [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Minutes of the CMAP Scientific Advisory Council

and the

CSM Scientific Steering Committee

and the

CSM Working-Group Co-Chairs

25 June 1998

The Village at Breckenridge

 

 

SAC Attendees: Ed Sarachik (SAC Acting Chair), Bob Dickinson, Bert Semtner, Kevin Trenberth, and Jim McWilliams. Ex-Officio: Francis Bretherton, Rick Anthes, Bob Serafin, Maurice Blackmon, and Jay Fein

CSM SSC Attendees: Maurice Blackmon (Chair), Jeff Kiehl, Susan Solomon, Bob Dickinson, Dave Randall, Frank Bryan, Peter Gent, and Byron Boville. Ex-Officio: Jay Fein and Anjuli Bamzai

CSM Working Group Co-Chair Attendees: Jim Hack, Dave Randall, Jeff Kiehl, Susan Solomon, Gordon Bonan, Bob Dickinson, Dick Moritz, Ed Schneider, Scott Doney, David Battisti, Bette Otto-Bliesner, and Peter Gent

Other: Lydia Harper

1. Impressions of CSM Workshop. Sarachik and Bretherton stated that good progress has been made on the CSM project. It was noted that there are deficiencies in the coupled model for equatorial climate regions. Human resources are needed for the Atmosphere Model Working Group (AMWG) for model diagnostics, which is a priority for the AMWG. The AMWG has a convection subgroup already, and they will meet later this summer. Jim Hurrell, NCAR, has diagnostic program modules that can be developed for CSM. A diagnostics subgroup from across all working groups was discussed. A group should meet to look at complementary and competing convection schemes and converge on which is best. The development of the convection and planetary boundary layer (PBL) schemes should be accelerated. Several modeling groups should be invited to do specific experiments on convection and PBL and then meet and compare results. The SSC will ask the co-chairs of the AMWG to work on the convection and PBL schemes and tell the SSC by e-mail how to accelerate the project. Blackmon, Battisti, and Hurrell will supervise development of a diagnostics package and talk with Bonan and Dickinson to integrate the package across working groups.

2. CSM Working Group Recommendations to the SSC:

a) Biogeochemistry Working Group will formally organize. Their priorities as stated by Doney will include a coastal ecosystem and nesting coastal models into an ocean model.

b) Land Working Group will develop a full-blown Common Land Model (CLM), including a prototype model working with CCM4 by the June, 1999 CSM Workshop and representing lakes and wetlands, as reported by Dickinson and Bonan. They will enhance their infrastructure by hiring an Associate Scientist and seeking multi-agency funding. Any funding would reside at NCAR with PIs from NCAR and the University of Arizona, University of Wisconsin, University of Texas at Austin, COLA, and NASA's Data Assimilation Office. The working group will use a high-resolution CCM4 including the CLM to do 2x and 3x standard resolution integrations. They will also determine current land use and natural vegetation changes, fill in historical evolution boundary conditions, and include snow, leaf level, and good point runoff.

c) Paleoclimate Model Working Group is very interested in equatorial Pacific modeling and coupled CSM simulations. They heartily support the incorporation of a diagnostics package into CSM, and Otto-Bliesner reported that Shields is available to help with development. The working group needs a T31 CSM that can be downloaded and run remotely.

d) Chemistry and Climate Change Working Group (CCCWG) is interested in working with the Land, Paleoclimate Model, and Natural Variability Working Groups. They are already working on the 20th and 21st Centuries projects with other working groups. The working group plans a meeting to look at forcings early next year. The CCCWG also suggested that comparisons of model runs to observations of short-lived tracers, such as Radon, could be useful in diagnosing convection issues and offered to assist the Atmosphere Model Working Group in such studies.

e) Natural Variability Working Group is interested in the tropical Pacific, ENSO, and diurnal cycles. Battisti stated that the working group recommends one natural variability working group with less than five co-chairs. Blackmon stated that Shukla proposed an independent Seasonal-to-Interannual (SI) Working Group continue for one year. The CSM SSC will discuss the co-chair issue and the SI Working Group issues. The SSC endorses research on analysis and predictability, not predictions. Battisti, Schneider, and Hurrell are interested in continuing as the Natural Variability Working Group co-chairs.

f) Polar Working Group co-chair Moritz stated that the CCM3 and CSM are not adequate for polar processes presently, that the working group needs model development and diagnostics, and that CCM4 and POP developments are good since they at least generate changes. Moritz also stated that Weatherly is interested in continuing as co-chair after he leaves NCAR, and Moritz is interested in continuing. Blackmon recommended that Large be added as the NCAR co-chair. The working group requested Briegleb continue as the sea ice code person. It was noted by several attendees that Briegleb has done a very good job and should continue. Moritz and Weatherly will contact Elizabeth Hunke regarding the EVP scheme and the University of Washington contact for the VP scheme to discuss CSL allocation needs. There is a grid issue between the sea ice and ocean models and also the land and sea ice models. Some collaborations are underway with the University of Colorado and the University of Alaska for Arctic processes over land.

The SSC wishes to thank John Weatherly for all his work on the CSM sea ice model. Weatherly has done an outstanding job.

g) Atmosphere Model Working Group co-chair Hack stated that as the atmosphere model evolves with other CSM components, a policy might need to be developed regarding ownership and responsibility. It was also stated that a version of the CSM with good resolution in the stratosphere was needed, and a version that would run on a workstation.

h) Ocean Model Working Group co-chair Gent stated that many new physics packages have been added this year to CSM, and there were no new physics packages recommended for next year. The big issue facing the working group is moving to POP. The issue of providing services (liaison) for POP was discussed, because the MOM model has services and MOM has many users. Malone (LANL) has confirmed that POP will run on a variety of machines, including vector machines. The NSF Oceanography Program will have a large increase in computing and funding resources, and a joint NCAR/university proposal should be done.

A workshop to train graduate students and professors on the NCL tool and diagnostics package, if available, was recommended.

3. CSL Allocations. The SSC members requested 200,000 C90 hours and were allocated 133,200 C90 hours for the CSM project. Since the National Assessment Climate Scenarios (NACS) project will take most of the CSL time and CSM human resources for the next two months, Boville stated that most of the hours should be allocated to the further development of the component models (atmosphere, ocean, land, and sea ice). Fein stated he would propose a two-month relaxation of the CSM schedule from MacCracken and Correll. Boville will e-mail recommendations for allocations to the SSC. It was noted that the SAC and SSC should be informed about projects that interfere with and/or delay the CSM project, e.g., NACS.

4. Folland/Shukla Letter. It was noted that the "International Climate of the Twentieth Century Project" was not endorsed by the International CLIVAR SSG. Other attendees stated that the project has already been done using different versions of SST forcings, and the proposed datasets to be used have not been discussed in the scientific community. It was also noted that if the project were not connected to IPCC, then it would be a drain on resources. Blackmon, working with Trenberth, will write a letter to COLA and The Met Office stating that CSM will not participate.

5. Modified Model for Seasonal-to-Interannual Variability Work. A proposal discussing projects and resource needs from Shukla and Tribbia is needed. The SAC/SSC encourages this group to go forward and will give them a CSL allocation, but no human resources are available. The question arose regarding: If the Seasonal-to-Interannual Working Group uses a model other than the "official CSM version," what will the relationship of the working group be to CSM?

6. Updated CSM Plan. The SAC recommends a detailed management plan be included in the updated CSM Plan, including:

-- who is the community in CSM and how do they participate;

-- SSC composition and membership, Terms of Reference, and term lengths;

-- how the SSC sets priorities within working groups;

-- how the SSC adjudicates priorities between working groups (incentives and disincentives);

-- how the SSC decides which community activities become priorities and how they are coordinated and rewarded;

-- Working Group membership, responsibilities, and rewards;

-- Working Groups Terms of Reference;

-- SSC decision process in changing models, in allocating resources, in allowing access, in national and international collaborations, and in impacts.

During this discussion, it was noted that a statement about Intellectual Property is needed. There is an issue of contributions of individuals and groups and how they get recognition in the CSM project. The SAC will review the updated CSM Plan before it is completed.

The joint meeting of the SAC, SSC, and Working Group Co-chairs adjourned.